Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Learning New Normals

There are times when we have to learn new normals. Many not by choice. After a death, a move, a lifestyle change, loss of a job, or a birth of a baby.  I’ve been in the midst of learning my new normal in the country and now I’ve added another one to which I will need to adjust: I resigned from my full time job as Department Chair for an online university. 

You may have heard that stress is stress…even when it’s good. I would reference that with a valid and reliable research quote but I am enjoying writing something which does not require research and referencing. Just take my word for it this time.  Well, as excited as I am to be “home” full time (I’ve actually been home physically, just not mentally and whole-heartedly) I am expecting a small amount of stress, as I learn a new normal. New daily schedules, new ways to discipline my time, new adventures with the kids in the middle of the day (Gasp! In public! [home school joke]).
Because we home school, we have a certain amount of freedom in our schedule. Experience and observation has shown me that getting school done in the mornings is always a good thing – leaving the afternoons for individual activities, down time, field trips, and more. But for us (because of my work) my entire day was busy…from the first check of email to the last meeting of the day. We said “no” to many activities like field trips and park days and I was always left with a feeling of guilt and inadequacy. I coined the term “ping ponging” to describe what I have been doing for 2 ½ years…..work, kids, work, laundry, work, kids, dishes, work, phone, kids – and so on and so on and so on (older readers: like the 80s Faberge commercials. Go ahead...click on it!).
Focusing on only one thing at a time will be a new normal for me. I anticipate it will be wonderful,  but will probably be accompanied by a learning period. A good friend of mine told me this week to give it time and give myself a chance to adjust…not expect too much too soon. What wonderful words which have also rung true for our life in the country.  There are so many things we want to do with the property – all great things – but they must be done at the right time and not too much too soon.
Her advice brought me to Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything
 1 There is a time for everything,
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:
 2 a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
   a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
   a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up,
   a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate,
   a time for war and a time for peace.
I’ll just leave it at that as I look forward to Monday and my new normal.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to sharing and growing with you in the new normal...

    ReplyDelete